Tuesday, September 29, 2015

Butterflies

My week has been primarily dominated by 2 games this week, so I thought it would be best if I talk about both of them. The first game that I want to talk about is called Archeage. Archeage is a Korean based MMORPG that focuses on its diverse way to create a player based economy and mixing it with open world pvp (player vs player combat). I played this game the day it launched in the US and I couldn’t believe how packed all 10 servers were. I had to leave my computer on for a day and half with archeage open just to wait for the 2k+ que I was in. The first couple weeks I was only able to play for about 3 hours. Once the people started thinning out I was able to just log in whenever I wanted and play. I was fascinated by all the different mechanics that the game brought. The game made you feel free and not like you were just progressing to get better and better. You were doing things fun and helpful to not only yourself but others too. It wasn’t just the grindy kill this then kill that and level up it gave you a feeling of accomplishment. Not many games do that anymore in people I feel. The accomplishment feeling also ties in with this next game called Rivals of Aether. This game is basically a 8bit remake of Super Smash Bros. Melee. Yes, it has slightly different mechanics but the core of both the games are very similar. Right now in the game there are only 6 different characters you can play. They all possess different abilities that revolve around the 4 elements Wind, Earth, Fire, and Water. The game sounds pretty cheesy when you put it that way, but just shut up and play it. Videos really don’t do this game justice, you only get to understand how amazing it is once you play it. After you find what character you like to play and you start learning how to actually control said character is so fun. Winning matches in this game give you the most rewarding feeling. It’s just a 1 on 1 deathmatch, you vs him. It comes right down to who is the better player right then and there. And I don’t know what it is about winning but that rewarding feeling you get just makes you want to play more and more and progress and to just keep winning. I think that is the reason why people play video games in the first place right? That rewarding feeling you get from a win, oh it’s so good.

No comments:

Post a Comment